What to be aware of if You’ve been injured in a TTC Accident

What to be aware of if You’ve been injured in a TTC Accident

Up until May of 2011, Toronto Transit Commission or TTC passengers, as well as other people riding on other public transportation venues, could claim SAB’s (statutory accident benefits) if they were injured on these types of vehicles. While it did not receive a great deal of publicity, the Ontario Provincial Government made changes to the rules that applied to individuals who were injured on these types of vehicles.

As it currently stands, any person who is injured while riding on a public transportation vehicle are able to file a claim for benefits from a number of potential insurance carriers. However, this depends on certain factors, such as whether or not they had vehicle insurance coverage or were the dependent or spouse of an insured individual, etc. The bottom line is that victims had one insurance carrier (at the very least) that they could turn to in order to receive benefits whether they were TTC passengers or riding some other type of public transportation vehicle.

A brief Word about Bill 173

In May of 2011, Bill 173 went into effect and changed the original ruling that applied to people riding on TTC buses and other similar vehicles. According to the newest ruling, a passenger is not entitled to benefits unless the public transportation vehicle they are riding is involved in a collision with some other vehicle or collides with an object in the road. Examples of this would include coming to a violent or sudden stop or getting cut off by other vehicles traveling on the same road and the person falls and injures themselves as a result.

What You should know regarding Your Accident and Injuries

If you were recently injured while riding on a TTC bus, streetcar, train or another type of public transportation venue, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. However, these types of personal injury cases are oftentimes very complex and can be extremely intimidating if you do not have a personal injury lawyer in Toronto and their legal team representing you. If you intend on seeking any type of financial recovery, here are some things to be aware of:

  • First of all, while you may qualify for statutory accident benefits, you might also be entitled to accident benefits such as attendant care benefits, income replacement benefits, medical and rehab benefits, and so on.
  • Secondly, you might be able, or have grounds, to file a lawsuit (tort claim) against the Toronto Transit Commission. Hire a lawyer to take care of the necessities instead of doing it on your own.
  • Third, the statute of limitations is 2 years for taking action and filing your claim. Thus, you need to ensure that you do not delay it longer than necessary and file within the time period.
  • Finally, you should consider hiring an experienced personal injury lawyer in Toronto to represent you in the courtroom and/or the negotiating table.
No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.


Free Evaluation Request