Personal injury law is oftentimes considered one of the more complex and complicated areas of the law. These cases usually arise when an individual is injured in some type of accident (car, medical malpractice, slip and fall, etc.) that was caused by another person’s careless, negligent, or reckless behavior. In many instances the best course of action is to hire a personal injury lawyer in Toronto to represent you in court or at the negotiating table.
Types of Damages or Losses to be Aware of
In every personal injury case, there are specific types of damages or losses that a person can seek compensation for. Whether it’s an injury, property damage, or any other type of damage or loss, the plaintiff may be entitled to seek compensation from the individual that caused or contributed to their damages or losses. Furthermore, there are two primary classifications of damages that are awarded in these types of cases – compensatory and punitive:
- Compensatory damages – while there are several types of compensatory damages to be aware of, they are typically classified as being either general or special damages. These types of damages are paid in order to compensate or reimburse the injured person (plaintiff) and are usually available in personal injury cases. Although they are not found in other types of legal claims and lawsuits, you will usually see these types of damages used to compensate the family of the deceased in a wrongful death case.
- Punitive damages – these damages are rarely awarded in personal injury cases and are not associated with the harm that the plaintiff has suffered. However, punitive damages are awarded in order to punish the person at fault or defendant for their behavior. Regardless, compensatory and punitive damages will be awarded to the plaintiff or injured party.
Special Compensatory Damages
Special compensatory damages are awarded to compensate an injury victim monetarily. Not only do these vary considerably from one injured individual to another, they are unique to each plaintiff. The purpose of special compensatory damages is to make the victim whole again for the expenses that they incurred or for the money they lost due to the injuries associated with the accident they were involved in.
Furthermore, these types of damages should cover most expenses that are related to their injuries. Normally, there is no limit enforced in the amount paid to the injured party or where special damage claims are concerned. Special damages typically include the following:
- costs associated with changed plans or trips that had to be cancelled
- expenses related to any future medical care or treatment
- household expenses
- loss of earnings both present and future
- medical expenses
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured in an accident personal injury lawyers in Toronto are available to assist individuals who have been injured in a wide range of accidents and are seeking compensation for damages.